Friday, June 10, 2011

OPTEFEX Streak Filters..working with them


These are NOT 2-point star filters!!
You will LOVE these guys!
I had several projects where we wanted the classic look of the old Panavision "C" series of horizontal lens flares...slig
ht blue in color due to the lens coatings.
But, as usual, budgets dictated otherwise.
So I bought a Lomo 37-144mm Russian zoom with CinemaScope [aka: anamorphic] front.
I had these PL mounted.
Yes, it did flare..somewhat...but I wasn't thrilled by its performance.
But once the new JJ brams STAR TREK movie came out..holy crap! Everyone wanted intense horizontal lens flares..these were beautiful!
Yes, they used actual Panavision anamorphic lenses on the new
TREK, and they created those fantastic flares by hand-holding HMI pocket PARS on the sides of the frame [just barely out of frame].
Unfortunately, 'scope optics like these are usually very hard to rent..and for a lot of projects, totally beyond the reach of their budget.
So OPTEFEX created a series of 'Streak" filters which re-create this look and these filters can be used on any standard spherical lens ['spherical lens' means any regular non-anamorphic lens..be it a prime or zoom]
These filters come in a variety of colors: white [clear], blue, red, green, yellow, etc..
They also come in a variety of strengths: 1mm, 2mm, 3mm and 4mm.
The number of the strength is actually the size in millimeters of the tiny embedded rods inside these filters.
The filter is constructed by a series of tiny glass [?] rods which are sandwiched between optical grade glass. The 'color' of the flare is due to a light coating of dye on the sides of these rods..yet the overall image is not affected by this color..white is still neutral.
The rods vary in size from 1mm to 4mm in diameter...1mm being the most intense of the flare effect, 4mm the lightest.
Anders Uhl from the DOP SHOP [www.thedopshop.com] was kind enough to let me try out an entire set of these filters to see which one or more I would buy.
Personally, for me, I chose the blue 1mm [the 'blue' was due to the classical blue flares which the older anamorphic optics displayed]. The 1mm was a great flare and it seemed to be the only size which didn't display any of the v
ertical banding I saw in the higher strengths in the highlights across a wide range of focal lengths.
Now I was shooting 4K
rez on one of my REDS and did not have an opportunity to do a film test..I'd love to some day, but time wouldn't allow it.
The other sizes of filter strengths: 2mm, 3mm & 4mm might work fine for someone else, so please do not discount them based upon my thoughts..go do your own damn test! :-)
I have used the Optefex Blue 1mm Streak filter a BUNCH! I'd also like to buy a clear 1mm as well ['clear' is also called 'white' I believe].
You need to play around with these filters and light sources t
o achieve the right flare. Take a few hours and play before hitting the stage..you'll appreciate the time you took to work out the means and methods for the flares.
I used pocket PARs on the sides of the frame for the music videos..had them rigged on c-stands underslung and the grips simply slid them up & down throughout the takes.
For the STARSHIP spot, we wanted the JJ Abrams look..we used Lekos & Jokers, sometimes playing with colored gels. We oftentimes had to handhold these fixtures due to the abrupt camera work.

No comments: